Corporate Tools in Post Falls, Idaho is building a team of 5 +/- lawyers. As we grow, we’re looking to transition from kicking the can and reactionary legal decision making (otherwise known as firefighting), to using legal decisions to drive the company and steer our growth. This is a M-F 40 hour or less a week job. We don’t have employees take emails home with them. We don’t work after hours. We believe in using work to pay for a lifestyle outside of working.
As one of our “The Lawyers” you’ll be working with a curated group of fun and talented lawyers to build from the ground up how we use legal to drive our company. Your work here WILL MATTER. Day like 45 or so after you start to see how much work everyone has squirreled away in their file cabinets for you over the years or people start to realize we have a smart team of in house lawyers ready to dig in and start dusting off all the junk on the corner of their desks we let sit for one reason or another.
It’s an exciting time for us. It’s an exciting transition. We should have built this team a few years ago… but we didn’t. But we are building it now. How will it all work out?? Well. We’re not sure, but we’re going to hire 5ish lawyers over some time that are good humans and smart people and let them figure it out. If you’re looking for a job that matters, please read on:
$70,000 - $150,000 annual salary depending on relevant experience
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision for employees
- Annual cost of living increase
- Annual review with raise option
- 22 days Paid Time Off
- After 3 years, PTO increases to 29 days. Employees transition to flexible time off after 5 years with the company—not accrued, not capped, take time off when you want.
- Paid Maternity and Paternity Leave
- 4% company matching 401(k) with no vesting period
- Quarterly "Work Wherever" allowance
- Use to make your remote work wherever set up more comfortable, for continuing education classes, a plant for your desk, coffee for your coworker, a massage for yourself... really, whatever.
- Open concept office with friendly coworkers
- Creative environment where you can make a difference
- No dumb benefits like free dog walking on the weekends that snobby hipster places have to make you feel cool, but mathematically won't cost the company much money because you won't use it.
- Trail Mix Bar --- oh yeah.
- Quarterback anything and everything legal. We do registered agent service, corporate filings, software as a service, and operate physical locations in every state. As the lawyer, you’d be the primary front line responder to anything legal in our operation. You’d be responsible for determining if you can deal with the problem or hire local or specialized counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction.
- You’ll be responsible for how we operate legally. Are we doing the right things? Are we operating legally? Is the city mad at us for something? Is the state mad at us for something? Who’s mad at us???? Who’s going to be mad at us and how do we avoid it? Are we violating someone's IP rights? Is someone encroaching on our IP? We have a massive amount of Intellectual Property. Massive. It will be shocking to you… Tech, IP, and Data Privacy should be interesting to you.
- Maintain trademarks in all 50 states and federal trademarks
- Maintain servicemarks in all 50 states and federal registrations
- Manage UDRP and Icann registrations, complaints, and responses
- Maintain terms of service, privacy policies, and data collection and retention policies
- Help with HIPPA and PCI compliance regulations
- Help with random employment problems
- Help respond to subpoenas
- Manage all service agreements and legal agreements we make with vendors
- Manage all service agreements we provide clients
- 3-4 acquisitions a year. Stock purchases, asset purchases, website purchases. Some very large and complex
- Provide support to all employees for any type of legal questions and all managers to help make daily decisions better
- Explore and help craft new business ventures in the quasi legal services industry we work in such as offering trademarks, legal forms, and other legal services as a service
- Help run the company through better and smarter legal decisions
- Your direct report is the employees. Corporate Tools is a horizontal organization without any real C level organizational chart. You're crazy valuable and important day 1.
Not Your Responsibility:
- Company sponsored CLE’s to keep your trademark law skills sharp
- You find fulfillment in the work, not a title or ladder to climb
- You've built an ego shelf in your tool shed or garage and are willing to put it in storage there while employed here
- You're a good human
- Some experience with HR, general business and commercial property law
- Strong academic credentials including a J.D. from an accredited law school and current bar license
- Competitive Attitude: This is a hard charging role. We move fast and we grow fast and you will need to enjoy beating our competition and helping us do this with smart legal decisions
- Bonus Points: 5+ years experience with Intellectual Property
- Bonus Points: Experience with ICANN and how domain names work
- Bonus Points: Current experience in trademarks and service marks
- Bonus Points: You can explain what Discombobulating is
- Bonus Points: You can explain what Bonanzificating is
- Bonus Points: You can explain what Anti-Thought Leadership is
Why you might like this job:
Having a traditional lawyer job wasn’t as fulfilling as you thought. You have to go out and hunt for your work every day and no matter how amazing of a job you do, no one is ever going to be happy about paying $150-$500/hour in legal fees. Ever! You have gone to school, put some time in, but at the end of the day you leave the law firm, just not happy or fulfilled. You’d like a place to call home where your experience and skill set is truly valued and where you can actually have a part of really running a company well versus firefighting and worrying about every 10 minutes you need to bill to make sure your partners can afford their BMW payments. You’re really good at what you do… you just have been longing for something much more real and normal. A place where you could have fun at work, the work could be fulfilling, and you could go home and do you at the end of the day instead of working on a crazy case in your mind or worrying about where you’re going to make the next billable hour to afford the life you don’t really want. Most importantly, you’re comfortable enough with yourself and can put your ego on the shelf to make a scary career change to be one of us normal people… whatever that means.